I was telling a friend the other day about my grandfather's service in the Air Force. He fought in WW II, he is my hero. My grandmother kept the home fires burning while he was away and write to him frequently. I came across these letters a long time ago while helping her clean and she let me read them. One in particuliar stuck out and I asked if I could copy it. It is filled with passion and if you let it take you back, it will bring tears to your eyes as it did mine.
My own Darling (Robert),
Yes it has come. The day we have all awaited and secretly hoped that wouldn't have to come. My thoughts and prayers have been with you all day for I know that you must be in that group of eleven-thousand planes that are ready to give that egotistical little paper hanger all that is coming to him. And all of us are doing the same from here.
Today was indeed a stange day here at home. The news of the invasion reached us at an extremely early hour and there has been a continuous flow of news over the radio all day. It was strange how differently everything was than planned. It had been arranged to have whistles blow and bells ring at the moment the news of the invasion reached us, but if they did, no one seemed to know it. Instead, people worked a little harder and prayed more than they ever prayed before. I remember what you once said about going to church and I wondered whether you had prayed too. I hope you did, because I did and I'd like to think you joined me.
No one here seemed to let the news interfere with their regular routine of work. They went right ahead doing what they always do, but with a sort of new meaning to it. No one really celebrated. They all seemed that it would be better to save all that for a greater day, V-day.
It may seem strange to you to hear me talking like this. Maybe I've just grown up, really grown-up, I mean. You and I grew up fast. We didn't have much time to be happy, and young, and in love, but we're doing our little bit so that someday our kids will have time to grow up right. They won't have to hurry because they have to fight another war. It's worth what we're going through to know that by doing it right, we'll give our kids all the things we missed. Darling, I'm scared silly and I supose you are too, but I've got a faith I didn't have before. I love you very much and I feel sure that you will be home soon.I know I won't be able to get any mail from you and you may not get all I write to you, but I'm with you, always in thought.
All my love, Dorothy
No comments:
Post a Comment