My mother found for me the newsletter that Great Grandfather used to write. Entitled "Of Cabbages and Kings," it was a small church newsletter that he put out anonomously as "The Walrus." Hence, the title of my online journal. When he began, the third line of the title was incomplete. It read " 'The time has come,' the Walrus said, 'to talk of many things of ?? and ?? and ?? of cabbages and kings." Thanks to three somewhat younger parishoners, the next time the letter went out, it was corrected. He was dissappointed about not recieving any mail from the first letter, but rather than get discouraged, he just remarked "no noose is good noose!"
He also gleaned for inspiration, here is an example:
As a symbol of our modern age(this was the 60's):
A staid old gentleman, judge at a horse show was upset by the dress of some of the young girls. He remarked, "Just look at that young person with the poodle cut, a cigarette, and tight blue jeans," he commented to a bystander. "Is that a boy or a girl?"
"It's a girl! It's my daughter!" the bystander replied.
"Oh I'm sorry sir, for give me. I didn't realize you were her father."
"I'm not! " snapped the person, "I'm her Mother!"
He also went on to comment on Ed Sullivan and the Beatles. My how times have changed!
More next time.
Love you much, Me
P.s. I am just the Walrus, you don't have to listen to me. But if "The Carpenter" speaks to you, you might want to pay attention!
No comments:
Post a Comment